Running a restaurant is challenging, and even slight fluctuations in your profit margins can make or break your business. A successful restaurant needs strong management, and the right restaurant management software can improve all areas of your business, ensuring it runs efficiently, reducing costs, decreasing customer wait times, and preventing billing and scheduling errors.
Benefits to a Using Restaurant Management Software
The best management software benefits everyone, from restaurant owners and employees to customers and vendors. With so many options on the market, it’s hard to know what software to buy. Either invest in an all-in-one software, or make sure the systems you select integrate well together and cover all your needs.
Some functionalities to look for include:
- User-Friendly Order Management – Any software you select should be easy for staff and management to use. Placing orders, splitting and printing checks, managing or changing tables, issuing refunds and viewing the status of orders should be simple and quick.
- Credit Card Processing Integration – Unless you plan on being a cash-only business, you need software that enables you to accept credit card payments and provide receipts to customers.
- Secure Employee Management – The ability to set different access levels and user permissions is an essential part of any management software you’re considering. Employees need to clock in and out, and management should have the ability to track hours worked, access employee records and calculate overtime.
- Robust Inventory Control – This must-have feature should deduct items from inventory when sold, so you know how much food you have on hand. Ideally, your restaurant management software should also alert you to order products, track food usage and cost, and help you understand your profit margins.
- Sales Tracking and Reporting – Most systems track basic sales data, but if you really want to step up your game, look for software that offers comprehensive data reporting and filtering. The ability to filter by product type, season and brand enables you to better target marketing promotions and understand your customers.
- Simple Menu Customization – Easy setup and configuration of your menu is a key feature for any management software to consider at your restaurant. Any system needing more than a few steps or a few minutes to change a price or adjust a menu item is not worth your money.
- Other Important Features – Depending on your unique needs, you may want to look for software that allows for cross-establishment communication, online ordering and delivery, gift card management or multilocation reporting. No matter where you are or how much business you do, quality technical support should be high on your list of must-haves.
3 Types of Restaurant Management Software to Consider
There are so many features to consider when choosing the best restaurant management software, so do your research and choose wisely. Below are three types of management software to consider using at your restaurant.
- Advanced POS System – A modern point-of-sale system helps collect, track, organize and make sense of everything from transactions to ordering trends. It sends orders to the kitchen and lets servers know when items are running low, and some systems even offer time clocks and other features.
- Accounting Software – Accounting software manages your payroll, reconciles purchase orders and invoices, generates income statements, and keeps you aware of your restaurant’s finances. It can also simplify tax time and help prevent tax return errors.
- Inventory Management Software – This is arguably the most important system in managing a successful restaurant. An inventory management system tracks inventory and sales to reduce shrinkage, helps manage food safety compliance, identifies sales trends, evaluates labor costs and acts as the primary data management tool in your restaurant.
Manage Your Restaurant the Right Way
Choosing the right restaurant management software is only a small part of running a successful restaurant. At Gecko Hospitality, we specialize in helping businesses like yours succeed. Contact us for more information.