Recruitment automation isn’t new in the hotel business. For decades, HR departments and recruiters have used artificial intelligence (AI) to track applications and speed up the hiring process. But recruitment remains one of the toughest, most time-consuming tasks businesses face. Recent advances in AI mean more help for recruiters and better hires, but also bring increasing concerns about fairness and data security.
Pros of Using Artificial Intelligence in Your Hotel’s Hiring Process
Automated recruitment services appeal to hotels and hospitality recruiters due to the industry’s high turnover rate. AI is faster and more reliable than humans, can create better job postings and automates repetitive high-volume tasks that bog down the hiring process.
Recruitment automation software is beneficial in several ways:
- Automation helps skilled recruiters find top talent and eliminate unqualified candidates. This reduces hiring time, giving you a shot at the best candidates before they accept an offer elsewhere.
- A surprising 15 percent of employed individuals keep an eye out for something better, and 80 percent are open to potential job opportunities. AI programs excel at tracking down passive candidates.
- When used correctly, artificial intelligence can improve gender diversity, removing common hiring biases and ignoring unimportant details that hiring managers get stuck on, such as education level or age.
- AI chatbots enhance the candidate experience by giving feedback in real time. More than two-thirds of candidates develop a positive opinion of a business if they receive timely updates during recruitment, according to a CareerBuilder study.
- Advanced recruiting automation services can rate knowledge, construct psychological profiles and determine whether employees fit into your company’s culture. These systems study the tone of interview responses and social media posts, and mine the internet for information to help you select the right candidate.
Cons of Relying on AI Programs in Hotel Recruitment
But for all its positive contributions to recruiting, artificial intelligence is often a target for critics. And those critics make some good points.
There are downsides to using AI to hire new employees:
- Artificial intelligence may overlook important job qualities only a human can identify, such as atypical work or volunteer experience. No matter how well designed an AI program is, it can’t replace human instinct.
- Although AI recruitment software can remove hiring biases, it can also promote them. Software doesn’t write itself, and employee biases may carry over during setup. In fact, the SHRM warns that bias is a major compliance concern with artificial intelligence, and hotels can be held liable if AI programs negatively affect protected groups.
- Data security is a major concern with artificial intelligence screening. Anything that collects, manages and otherwise interacts with personal data is a security risk. Breaches can damage brand reputation and create liability issues.
- Candidates are increasingly wary of such data risks. The more data you collect and store during the recruitment and hiring process, the more likely it is some people will decide against applying.
Making Artificial Intelligence Work for Your Hotel’s Recruitment
As AI evolves and we address its shortcomings, it will become a game-changer in the hiring process.
While hospitality recruitment automation helps hotel recruiters streamline hiring, it should never be used alone. Smart recruiters must use it as a tool to improve recruitment; it isn’t a replacement for human instinct or interaction.
Also, recruiters must take data security concerns seriously, remain transparent with clients and stay current on laws and regulations.
Want to Know What’s Right for Your Hotel?
Finding the right talent is crucial, but it’s challenging and expensive. Recruitment automation is a helpful tool, but only human recruiters can build relationships with candidates. Gecko Hospitality specializes in finding top talent for your hotel business. Contact us today to learn how we can help your business grow. Read More About Keeping Good Hires